Monday, May 25, 2009

A puzzling visit to Spiritual Church

Only a few days ago I was thinking how quiet everything is in the spiritual world. I spoke too soon. Yesterday Tom and I went to the local Spiritualist Church for the first time. I had known about it for some months but decided the time was right to look in and see how much it was like the one where I used to live in NSW. We arrived a couple of minutes late because we were not sure of the location. They were having a guided meditation, lovely, and so we walked quietly over to some chairs in a circle in the back of the room and sat down. I put my bag down on the chair next to me, and it promptly fell, with a loud crash, onto the floor. No one reacted, thank goodness.

And so we sat quietly at the back of the room until the meditation was over, and I was reminded strongly of the Healing Circle I used to have on a Wednesday night in the first Centre I ran. After it had ended we sang the lovely old version of Amazing Grace, then had a brief talk by the lady Reverend, who introduced a man who gave us a 101 level talk about Spirit. This was rather a puzzle to me, given that the church has been in existence since 1986 or so, and most of the women there (only 2 men, only being Tom) were middle-aged and seemed to know each other. He was rather scathing about Jesus, which personally bugs me, and pushing hard the book he had written about Him. Hmm... What also puzzled me was that he is a Minister in the Spiritualist Church and I am sure their philosophy includes the importance of the Christ energy.

During this time I spent energy looking at the auras of the five people seated behind the table. They were all quite beautiful. The lady controlling the music was all blues and greens, the lady with the blond hair was yellows and oranges, as was the other medium with the bobbed hair, though her energy flickered in and out quite rapidly. Afterwards I put it down to her being a bit nervous, as I explain further down. Another of the puzzles was that the lady Reverend appeared to have little or no aura at all, and what brief glimpses I could get flicked away rapidly before I could grasp the colours. There was a 5th lady at the table but I could not see her through the person sitting in front of me.

After the talk it was healing time. Quite a large number of the women made their way to the circle of chairs at the back of the room where some sat and some did healing. We were asked to share the energy, so I turned myself around in my seat to look at what was happening .. but it didn’t feel right so we turned back to the front where the lady Reverend then appeared to channel someone she didn’t identify and give us a very general message about how Spirit wants us all to heal. The only difference between her normal speech patterns and the ‘channelled being’ is that it (s/he?) stumbled over what to say at times.

After this event the healing guides and angels were thanked for their work, although I don’t think the women had finished doing their healings, somehow. There was a delay as the group of women made their way back to their seats, and then we had another song, one I don’t know.

The last event on the agenda was two ladies do readings for the group. I noticed they mostly worked on the left side of the room (Tom and I were on the right) and the second one seemed to be a novice, every enthusiastic, not much specific information (I mentioned her earlier). Lovely smile though. While both ladies looked intensely at us neither of them came near us with information. The first lady was very busy and very enthusiastic, and lovely to watch .. the blond lady mentioned earlier – she also took up most of the allocated time. The 2nd lady ‘read’ for 3 people and was equally abruptly dismissed by the Reverend. Then we had the closing song and everyone was told they could share afternoon tea in the kitchen.

Tom and I were debating staying when the blond lady came over and gave me a message. She said there was a great deal of sadness around us (Tom did feel sad, I was just disappointed with the whole thing) and that my obvious ill health will turn out just fine. I admit to menopause symptoms but otherwise I am healthy. I thanked her because her intentions were good, but I am still puzzled by the message. Tom and I then went back to debating stayed, then chose to and made our way out to the kitchen where .. strangely .. we were completely ignored. Not one solitary person came and said hello. No one asked who we were, or even passed the time of day with us. I got some afternoon tea for us, Tom got coffee, and we both stood on the edge of the crowd and just watched. Eventually the 2nd reader walked straight past my nose and said to a lady 2 people away from Tom’s side ‘are you the angel lady?’ She looked puzzled. I stood there wondering if I should say anything. She asked again, and I thought ‘what the heck’ and said ‘No, I’m the angel lady’. The reader glanced at me (was I invisible before I spoke?) and went back to talking to the other lady. About 10 minutes later when we had moved position slightly she glanced at me and said “Do you do workshops?”. I hesitated and finally said yes.

After that we headed out the kitchen door. On the way out no one said a word to us, no one looked at us or even smiled. I tapped the man on the shoulder, who had given us the talk on ‘spirituality’, as he passed me in the doorway. I asked to see his book, so he turned around and went out to his car to get a copy. Tom and I went back into the hall to wait for him. When he returned I took a copy of the book, read the back and then flipped it open .. as I expected Jesus turns out to be a nasty political person who employed thieves and thugs to do his dirty work .. and the author (who, by the way, is not brave enough to put his true name on the cover of the book) is a minister in a Christian based church??? I didn’t buy the book.

As we finally made our way to the exit we passed by a table of pamphlets and I picked up on free one and bought another couple. I paid the Reverend lady, who would not look me in the face when she was talking to me, but finally did after I collected my change from her. I deliberately chose to stare into her face and she looked up at me in a very odd way .. she seemed to tucked her head down into her shoulders, and then, snakily, lifted it up as she turned towards me. I just smiled. It added to the weirdness of the whole experience.

And yes, we are going back next fortnight ... I am curious to know what is going on there.

The story continues ...

No comments:

Post a Comment